1. Register all software products and sign up to receive product alerts, patches, and automatic updates.
2. Make sure your anti-virus definitions are always up to date.
3. Back up your data every day and verify the backups once a month. If your data is extremely important, consider an off site backup service that will automatically backup your data daily.
4. Install and run a “spy sweeper” software every week to remove unwanted spyware programs.
5. Never open an email from and unknown source.
6. Never visit or engage peer-to-peer file sharing sites (Limewire, Kazaa.)
7. Never download “enhanced” web browsers, screen savers, cute programs or other programs from unknown web sites.
8. Use a quality surge protector to protect against lighting strikes and power surges.
9. Use Disk Cleanup and Disk Defragmenter monthly to free up more space and help you computer run faster and smoother.
10. Clean out your temporary files directory. In the Internet Explorer Tools menu, click Internet Options. On the General tab, click the Delete Files button in the Temporary Internet Files section.
11. Set your email to auto-archive older messages and to regularly empty your deleted items folder.
12. Install a firewall to keep hackers and viruses from accessing your computer.